Header

Header

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Moving on from what you know

Where there is desire, there is going to be a flame. Where there is a flame, someone’s bound to get burned. But just because it burns doesn’t mean you’re gonna die, you gotta get up and try, try, try..."

Just sorta summed up my sappy feelings at the moment and I had to post them somewhere. Definitely one of my favorite songs at the moment.

Right so as I believe most of you are aware, I am a proud holder of a one way ticket to Hurghada, Egypt. Ok I know you are all very worried, but I have a couple thoughts on this matter. Firstly, I don't settle well. I believe that most of you are aware of my inability to stay doing one thing for more than a year or 2. I think this has to do with the fact that I've never found anything that I passionately love, and that keeps me engaged. I believe that diving might be the thing that grounds me for the rest of my life I am never so happy or peaceful as when I'm diving, but I also think that it won't require me to stay in one place. Italy has been truly great, but it has been almost 2 years now and I am done. I have a love hate relationship with this dang country. And yeah my life would so not be complete without Amanda in it, but it's really time to move on. I read somewhere recently that it takes 18 months to fully adjust to a country and at that point you either love it or hate it and can decide whether or not you can hang in there for the long term. I have examined my life in Italy and frankly no, I cannot do this anymore. They are disorganized, inefficient, and as a majority downright stupid (I back up this thought with the proof that they actually re-elected Berlusconi). Ok ok I know what you are thinking, Egypt isn't going to be any better, but you know what? It is. Egyptians don't pretend they have their shit together. They know they're a disorganized mess and if they want something done they just do it, because frankly, no one is going to stop them.

Secondly, Egypt is not as bad as you all think. In fact the whole of Northern Africa is muslim (in case you missed that) and the way western media portrays the issues there are SO exaggerated and at times completely untrue. When I went to Sudan earlier this year, we had a 24 hour layover in Cairo and so did the group of Romanians that were traveling with us. Supposedly the day we were there, there was some huge riot in Tahrir Square. The problem is, we drove right by it, and nothing was going on and the Romanians were there and actually have pictures of the empty square. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a large part of what you read isn't true. And I realize that a lot of people are fearful for my safety, but what you experience when you visit verses what the media portrays is just so so different. I'm not using this as an excuse to be stupid or make silly decisions, but I am also not an idiot and Hurghada is also a tourist city. I have friends there, and its not that difficult to buy a ticket out of there if I don't want to stay anymore.

On that note, it's been too long since I've been diving! It's been like almost 3 weeks...I'm starting to shrivel without water...save meeeeee....on the to do list for the next couple weeks: My Birthday! Amanda's rescue course, possibly diving at Tor Paterno, diving at Porto Ercole, maybe Santa Croce, Mallorca with Amanda!!!!!! Amanda's graduation, and uhmm I'm sure a couple other adventures!!! But for now enjoy my incredibly stupid scuba diving comics.....

No comments: